Agave Oatmeal Sour Dough Bread #breadbakers

This is a sweet and delicate Oatmeal Bread topped with rolled oats and naturally sweetened with agave.

I have had sourdough in my fridge for almost a year now. I would like to thank Mary for giving me the recipe for it . I keep it in the fridge and take it out every couple of weeks and make a bread. I add some more flour and water and then I put it back in the fridge. It is a great relationship the two of us have no fuss no muss.

This months #breadbakers is all about oatmeal. #BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.  Ricio, who blogs over at Kids and Chic  is the host this month. A special thanks to her and all the hard work she put in to make this possible.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to

Print Print Recipe

Agave Oatmeal Sour Dough Bread

1/2 cups sour dough starter see link above
1 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons melted butter cooled slightly
1 medium egg beaten
3 tablespoons agave
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3 cups all purpose

Combine starter, milk, butter egg and agave in your stand mixer using the paddle attachment. Let set in mixer while you measure and combine in another bowl the salt, oats and flour. Add your dry ingredients to your wet until dough comes together. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in mixer bowl for 2 hours. Punch down and put back on stand this time incert the dough hook and kneed until no longer sticky adding more flour if needed about 5 minutes. Divide dough into two equal pieces and put in prepared bread pans. Allow bread to rise again about 2 hours.
Bake bread in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
Allow to rest about 15 minutes before slicing.

Oatmeal Bread themed #BreadBakers:

• Agave Oatmeal Sour Dough Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
  • Applesauce Oatmeal Bread from Hostess at Heart
  • Banana Oatmeal Loaf from Basic N Delicious
  • Blueberry Currant Oatmeal Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
  • Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
  • Honey Oatmeal Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
  • Honey Oatmeal Bread from Recipes, Food and Cooking
  • Honey-Oatmeal Muffins from A Baker’s House
  • Honey Oats Bread Loaf from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
  • Honey Nut Oatmeal Waffles from Magnolia Days
  • Honey Wheat Oat Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
  • Irish Oat and Whole Wheat Bread from Cali’s Cuisine
  • Lemon Blueberry Oat Bread from Kids & Chic
  • Multigrain Twist Bread from What Smells So Good?
  • Oat Breadsticks from Passion Kneaded
  • Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips Oatmeal Scones from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
  • Rolled Oat Sourdough Boule from A Shaggy Dough Story
  • Savory Oats Scones from Sara’s Tasty Buds
  • Triple Seeded Oat Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
  • Whole Wheat Honey Oatmeal Bread from Spill the Spices
  • Peace be with you,

17 Responses to “Agave Oatmeal Sour Dough Bread #breadbakers”

Renee — July 14, 2015 at 5:36 am

A lovely bread and a recipe I’ll save to make with my sourdough starter.

Cali @ Cali's Cuisine — July 14, 2015 at 6:15 am

Your bread is beautiful! Nicely done.

I’m impressed with your sourdough. I don’t think I could have such a committed relationship!

Adam — July 14, 2015 at 8:26 am

I think people are always surprised at how little work is involved in taking care of a sourdough starter. It seems like this big to-do, but as you say it doesn’t take much and look what wonderful bread you get in return!

ally — July 14, 2015 at 9:28 am

Just a work of art and I know delicious! Thank you for your hard work! xo

Stacy — July 14, 2015 at 10:09 am

Sourdough is one of those things I just haven’t tried yet, because of the commitment! I need to get over that because your bread looks wonderful, Vonnie.

Ansh — July 14, 2015 at 10:27 am

I have been known to kill my sourdough starter. Time and again I start it again. Next time I do it, I will make this bread. Looks Lovely.

Holly — July 14, 2015 at 10:52 am

You’ve made a beautiful loaf of bread. I’ve had it in mind for quite some time that I’d like to have a sourdough starter. To see what lovely breads can be made is inspiring. Thanks!

Rocio-kidsandchic — July 14, 2015 at 10:56 am

Thanks for joining this month with this delicious bread. The agave and oats make it a very healthy bread

Julie is Hostess At Heart — July 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm

What a beautiful loaf of bread! I just love the natural sweetness of this loaf.

Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm — July 14, 2015 at 4:10 pm

I need to have sourdough starter in my fridge. This bread is lovely.

Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories — July 14, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I just love that you made this bread with sourdough! I keep three in my fridge =)

Sona — July 14, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Never tried a sourdough bread before.. Your bread looks lovely and got a nice texture too..

vimala lakshmi — July 15, 2015 at 11:56 pm

sourdough….I never tried this before now I love to try it for sure…………bread looks so soft and yummy……………

Georgina — July 16, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I remember making bread with sourdough a long time ago but I cannot for the life of me remember how I made it or how to make it again. Kudos to your effort. Your bread looks fabulous Vonnie

Pavani — July 16, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Your bread turned out just perfect — love the beautiful dome you got. I’m always looking for new recipes with sourdough starter. Bookmarked to try this recipe soon.

Shilpi — July 19, 2015 at 12:21 am

Thanx for the information of Sour dough starter.. Nothing can beat fresh loaf of healthy bread..

Joanne T Ferguson — July 19, 2015 at 3:49 am

What an interesting combination for a bread Veronica! Pinned and shared and hope to see you on Saturday!