Balsamic Braised Beef Ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 slab of beef ribs
- 2 leeks white parts only
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery cut into l inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 quart beef stock (I used Beef bouillon)
- In a dutch oven heat the oil over medium. Working in batches sear the ribs on both sides.Transfer to a plate.
- Add the leeks, onions, carrots, celery and garlic.to the pot and cook an additional 10-15 minutes until it is well browned. Stir occasionally. Add the red pepper, salt, black pepper and tomato paste cook until the tomato turns to a reddish brown color about 10 minutes.
- Add the mustard, rosemary , balsamic and brown sugar. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Return the sort ribs to the pot and add the beef bouillon. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and cover.
- Place the ribs in a 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The ribs should be very tender.
- Transfer the ribs to a platter and remove the solids from the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to about a cup.
- Drizzle the glaze over the ribs and serve
Peace be with you,