Dutch Baby

Dutch baby is a simple, pillowy, crisp, cross between a pancake and a popover

dutch baby

I am not sure why I didn’t make these before this.┬áThese Dutch Babies are genius! You do not have to slave over the stove making pancake after pancake. Well its not exactly a pancake, it is more like a crepe than a pancake. Yeah, its like a big giant crepe. It is really easy to make. Just combine the batter and set it in the oven to cook. You can add your fruit on top of it when it comes out of the oven. Just like a pancake I love mine with Maple Syrup. This weekend you should make this for your family. You will be glad you did.

Print Print Recipe

Dutch Baby

Yield: 4

1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg

Heat your oven to 425 degrees.

Melt butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.

In a a medium bowl combine flour, milk, sugar, salt and egg. Stir until moist. Pour batter into skillet and cook over medium heat for one minute. Bake in oven for 18 minute or until golden brown.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Cut into quarters serve immediately.

11 Responses to “Dutch Baby”

Happy Valley Chow — January 8, 2013 at 1:45 am

This looks delicious, I will definitely have to try. I love my dutch ovens (I actually did a few posts about my cast iron just recently). Sounds like a great breakfast meal! Thanks for sharing :)

Jeff — January 8, 2013 at 6:26 am

I cant believe how fluffy it is! I can imagine it with some fresh fruit and cream over top as well!

gabbyh — January 8, 2013 at 10:45 am

Must get a 10-inch cast iron skillet! Only have a grill pan and a very large cast iron…this recipe is sending me shopping :)

bellini — January 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

Sprinkled with icing sugar or fresh fruit thy are the best Veronica.

Purabi Naha — January 8, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Wow, the Dutch baby looks wonderful and the recipe is easy to follow. I loved this. Wish you a very happy new year!

Taking On Magazines — January 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I love Dutch pancakes, but more when there’s apple thrown in on top before baking. However they’re made though, you’re right, they are SO much more simple than regular pancakes! Yours is gorgeous.

Heather H — January 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Regular oven pans work as well. I’ve been making these for years. Just spray the pan with a little Pam or coat it in butter (delicious!). Sprinkle with lemon juice and powdered sugar when it’s done. So delish!

GS test demo — April 1, 2013 at 6:40 am

My Catholic Kitchen ┬╗ Dutch Baby

Karen — January 3, 2015 at 11:12 am

Omit the sugar and use 3 eggs and 1 cup each of the flour and milk. Put about a teaspoon oil in a 9×13 metal baking pan and heat in oven before adding batter, bake about 18-20 minutes and you have an English Yorkshire Pudding. We eat it with our Sunday roast smothered with gravy…yummy!

• vgantley — January 3rd, 2015 @ 4:58 pm

I have heard of that. I think it is is similar to a popover.

vgantley — January 11, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Good to know. May have to try it later.