This week for #Sunday Supper we are talking about Back to school meals.
This week the wonderful Nicole over at Daily Dish Recipes is going to be our host.
So let me start by saying I adore this recipe.
It is easy to make and who doesnt love that?
It is the first thing that comes to mind when I am planting all my tomatoes for the season.
The thought of this pie with homegrown tomatoes makes my mouth water.
Unfortunately my garden did not do very well this year.
I have had to rely on friends and family for my vegetables.
They have been very generous and giving.
I love that.
I will return the favor with some homemade sauce or bread and butter pickles.
They will be happy for once to get a recycled gift, well sort of.
I know the name of this recipe kind of sounds funny.
Apple, cherry, blueberry pie, but not tomato.
You will love this savory version.
Now remember, only use the homegrown kind if you can get them.
Those store bought hothouse tomatoes will never do.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Now go and make that pie, make two and give one to a friend.
That’s what I am going to do.
To thank them for all those lovely tomatoes.
It gives new meaning to the word re gifting.
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
1 deep dish pie shell
1 cup Monterrey jack cheese grated
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
1 cup Greek style yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Using a fork poke holes in the bottom of your pie plate. (This is called docking) Place in to a preheated oven and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
While your pie shell is cooking slice tomatoes thinly and layer in a colander in your sink. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain while your shell is cooking. You can also dab the tomatoes with a paper towel to get some of the excess water off of them. This is an important step because if you do not get most of the liquid out the bottom of your pie it will be soggy.
By now your pie plate should be removed from the oven. Allow it to cool for a little while while you make the topping. Combine the two cheeses and yogurt in a medium bowl.
Layer the tomatoes, basil and onion in the pie shell. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread your cheese and yogurt mixture on top of the tomatoes and allow to cook for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
Cut into slices and serve warm.
Join me for some more back to school meals with my other Sunday Supper friends
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Kung Pao Shrimp by Mangoes and Chutney
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Chorizo Tomato Pasta with a Creamy Sauce by Avocado Pesto
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta. Will be dinner this Friday by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
Peace be with you,