Homemade Vanilla Sugar

I wouldn’t know a Madagascar Vanilla bean if it bit me in the butt.

Not that a Madagascar Vanilla bean would actually bite me in the butt.

What I am trying to say, is that I am not a vanilla bean snob.

Unlike some people.

I don’t think I have ever met a vanilla bean I didn’t like.

Any kind of vanilla bean is fine with me.

They are so good in so many things.

After doing some research I found there are three main cultivars of Vanilla.

Vanilla Panifolia, commonly known as Bourbon Vanilla. It is named after the Bourbon region from where it is grown. It is also known as Madagascar.

Vanilla Tahitensis, grown in Tahiti or other parts of the South Pacific andVanilla Pompona found in the West Indies, Central and South America.

I bought a pound of chef quality Vanilla Beans and I paid $ 19.95 for them. They charged me about $10.00 shipping and I had them on my doorstep in about a week.

There were at least 100 pods in my package and the smell was intoxicating.

I am in the process of making homemade vanilla extract.

You can see that in an upcoming post.

Did you know that Vanilla is the second most expensive spice after Saffron?

I am so rich!

I got my vanilla here.

Print Print Recipe

Vanilla Sugar

Ingredients:

1 vanilla bean split in half
4 cups granulated sugar
Air tight container (glass is best)
Split the bean down the middle.

Directions:

Bury it in the sugar and close the container.
It will take about a week for the vanilla to infuse with the sugar.

9 Responses to “Homemade Vanilla Sugar”

Ellen B Cookery — June 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Wonder if I could sprinkle some on top of my next cappuccino. Sounds interesting!

Patti — June 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Wow Veronica! When I saw all those beans I thought you must have spent a fortune! Beautiful photos as always :o)

Linda A. Thompson Ditch — June 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Thank you for the vanilla bean connection. Reciently I came across a recipe for vanilla scones that requires 3 beans. I’ll be placing an order soon! And I’m looking forward to reading about your extract making.

Eliot — June 11, 2012 at 2:33 am

100 pods. That is not too shabby! I have some homemade vanilla in the back of the pantry that I think won’t be ready until September! Love the info here.

Torviewtoronto — June 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I always have this in the counter as I don’t use vanilla essence lovley pictures

Veronica Miller — June 12, 2012 at 6:24 am

Wow, what a great deal you got on the vanilla beans! The first time I found them available locally was in the McCormick spices–two spindly beans for $10! So, I’d say you saved about $500 buying them online! lol! I thought i was getting a good deal on them at our local spice store for $1 each but you got a much better deal-going to go check that site out! I’ve never made vanilla sugar but what a neat way to impart vanilla flavor to your baked goods without the extract.

All That I'm Eating — June 13, 2012 at 8:39 am

This sugar looks great, can’t believe how many vanilla pods you have there! I just made some elderflower sugar myself!

Janet@FCTC — June 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Yummy! I make vanilla sugar all the time so I can vouch for how delicious (and easy) this is. Thanks for the link on the beans. I need to go check that out.

Katie @ OhShineOn — June 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

This looks so great… Simple, yet delightful. Is it bad that I’ve never actually used a vanilla bean in my baking recipes? I always reach for the extract even though I’m sure using the actual bean would give a recipe so much more flavor.