Chicken and Dumplings and SRC

Happy Monday everyone!

It is once again time for the Secret Recipe Club.

I love this club. It brings me out of my comfort zone and allows me to stalk  visit and secretly get to

know a fellow blogger that I don’t think I would normally visit.

Thanks to Angie Barret at Big Bears Wife, who teamed me up this month with The Freshman Cook.

The Freshman Cook is a beginning cook.

At least that is what Teri mentions on her blog.

She loves to cook and bake and is very enthusiastic about it.

She wants her blog to inspire us, and it does.

Her favorite thing is to teach people how to cook.

She certainly has done that with her Chicken and Dumplings.

Which is what I chose to make.

You can get the recipe here.

Print Print Recipe

Chicken and Dumplings

1 large chicken cut up

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1 large onion

2 carrots

2 celery stalks

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

black pepper to taste

(I added a chicken bouillon cube to add more flavor)

Cook the chicken in a pot of water with the salt, vinegar, onion, and celery, Allow to simmer for 60 - 90 minutes. When the chicken starts falling apart place in a bowl or cookie sheet to cool slightly.

Pull out 1 cup of broth from the pot. Keep the rest of the broth in the pot but discard the celery and carrots.

Meanwhile place flour, salt and egg in a bowl. Stir in reserved broth, enough to make a soft dough. Roll out dough into strips and add to the boiling broth. DO NOT STIR. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the chicken back to the pot.
Dust the top of the pot with pepper. Ladle into warm bowls and enjoy.

17 Responses to “Chicken and Dumplings and SRC”

Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos — June 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Perfect comfort food!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING — June 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I love the Freshman cook!

My recipe from SRC today was wonderful too! Come check it out!

heidi — June 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

This looks perfect for the lousy Danish weather we have at the moment – as Aly said, perfect comfort food!

Veronica Miller — June 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’ve never made chicken and dumplings so I had to check this out! It looks really delicious and creamy. Were these the kind of dumplings that are fluffy or like noodles? I have a friend that can not get her dumplings to come out fluffy like her grandma used to make so I was thinking of sending her here.

Jo — June 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm

This looks so good! Once we move out of warm summer weather, I m going to have to make some chicken and dumplings, can’t think of the last time I did!

Melissa — June 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Delicious! I love chicken and dumplings–they’re one of my favorite comfort foods :)

Teri@thefreshmancook — June 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Hi Veronica,
    I am glad you like the chicken and dumplings.They look fabulous!
    Thanks for making The Freshman Cook look so good!

Ellen B Cookery — June 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Looks very nice! I’m impressed! I also have a similar posts with my homemade noodles and a turkey soup I made back in early March.

Chelsy Ethridge — June 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

mmmmmm there is nothing better than chicken and dumplings, my grandma can really make it well but I have never tried to make it…guess I better get started!

Erin — June 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I just love Teri’s blog! Amazing pick for this month. It looks wonderful!

Erin Reimer — June 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm

That looks great!! I’ve never actually tried chicken and dumplings – I may have to give it a try. Awesome choice for SRC!

Cindy — June 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I have never eaten chicken and dumplings–I must try this recipe! Looks delicious. Great SRC pick.

Lisa~~ — June 19, 2012 at 12:53 am

I’ve only recently made chicken and dumplings for the first time, what a perfect comfort food meal and yours looks wonderful.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my group “A” SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

Cook Lisa Cook

Eliotseats — June 19, 2012 at 3:02 am

What great comfort food! Great SRC post. Too bad it is a little steamy here for soup. I already wish it were fall so I could have a nice hot bowl of this. :)

The Mom Chef — June 20, 2012 at 1:32 am

Wow, making that dish would have definitely taken me out of my comfort zone too. It looks absolutely amazing. Your photos are gorgeous too.

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles — June 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Mmm saving this one for winter!

Peggy G. — June 22, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Great choice for SRC! This sounds like such a comforting dish =)