Monkey Jam

I finally found a way to use up all those bananas I have in my freezer.
This is a tropical tasting jam, I haven’t tasted anything like it.
If you like Pina Coladas,  you are going to love this.

I got the recipe from here.

If canning intimidates you, then don’t process it.
Some of us, mainly the hubster likes it better unprocessed.
He loves it on toast and bagels.
If you go the unprocessed route, let everyone know that it needs to be refrigerated.

So I was thinking, I would give away one of these jars as a prize.
You will love it!
There is only a few things you should know.
I cant deliver outside the US.
If you make a comment on my site with a e-mail or some way I can contact you to get a address that would be good.
I will randomly pick some one in the next couple of weeks.

Deadline is 5/16/12.

Monkey Jam
10 bananas

20 oz can of crushed pineapple
with juice
1/4 cup coconut
3 cups of white sugar
3 tablespoon lemon juice

Peel and slice bananas. I used some that I put in the freezer. I took them out and allowed them to thaw.  I used about five of them and five of my perfectly ripe bananas. Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until desired consistency is achieved. I cooked mine for about 20 minutes. Cook it longer if you want it thicker. I also used my potato masher to mash the ripe bananas. The frozen ones were mushy already and perfect for this recipe.
Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving about 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Process 10 minutes in water bath.
If you are unsure about canning click here.

It is a more indepth informational website.

I know this is a no brainer, but any jars that don’t seal should be kept in the refrigerator.

How do you know they are sealed?
Wait for that wonderful ping sound it makes.
It truly is a wonderful thing.

11 Responses to “Monkey Jam”

ping — May 15, 2012 at 3:03 am

Haha! What a great name for this jam! I love the combination and living in this tropical fruit paradise …. everything’s available easily. What a super idea for a jam. I wonder why nobody’s ever made this here? Thanks for sharing!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny — May 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm

What a fabulous recipe, this looks absolutely delicious!! :)

Heather — May 15, 2012 at 11:42 pm

looks great! I cant wait to try

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 16, 2012 at 12:46 am

This looks so yummy!! Love the combo of the bananas, coconut, and pineapple! I haven’t tried canning yet, but it’s on my list of things to tackle in the future!

Beth Michelle — May 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm

This looks so wonderful. Great combination of flavors!

Lilly — May 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I’m so happy to come across your recipe! I just made banana jam a couple of weeks ago and it was good but this looks way better. Although I don’t have 10 bananas here, I’m sure I can make it with less as well. Can’t wait to give it a try!

Blue Angel — September 25, 2012 at 2:37 am

I found this quite by accident and ooo boy just cannot wait to try to make this. thank you for posting/ sharing the recipe!

Bebe — October 25, 2013 at 7:58 pm

This recipes sounds wonderful. I’m always looking for something special to make for my grandson, who has food allergies. I think he’ll love Monkey Jam.

teale — April 22, 2014 at 2:31 am

This looks awesome! I want to go get more canning jars tomorrow and start asap!
    Just wondering what kind of coconut this calls for? Fresh coconut flesh? Coconut flakes? Also I see you dont use pectin… Is this more of a mushy apple sauce texture rather than a jelled texture? And how much does this recipe make? Thanks this looks like a jem!

• Veronica McLaughlin Gantley — April 26th, 2014 @ 11:15 am

Teale,
      I used the coconut in the bag (flakes) you get at the grocery store. No pectin and it didnt need it. I used a few different jars. I want to say it called for 5-6 half pint jars. Although I think I used a bunch of the small oz jelly jars along with a few half pints.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: The Sunday Sip ~ Demolition, Monkey Jam, A Birthday, and the Dish of the Week | Taking On Magazines One Recipe at a TimeTaking On Magazines One Recipe at a Time