Tomato Bisque

I planned ahead for this recipe. Over the summer I grew a garden and had extra tomatoes. They were skinned and seeds removed.  I chopped them roughly and slipped them into a zip top bag. I froze them until now, to use in this soup. It is perfectly fine if you use canned  tomatoes. Make sure you get a good kind. I recommend San Marzano, a plum variety.
Tomato Bisque
1 basil leaves
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon pepper
2 tablespoons sour cream
Parmigiana Reggiano cheese for serving
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. When butter is melted add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are translucent. Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth salt and pepper and stir everything together.
Take the parsley, basil and bay and put them in a piece of cheese cloth. tie a string around it to secure. This is called a bouquet garni. Drop the cheese cloth in the soup pot.
Reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for 1 hour.
Remove cheesecloth. Add sour cream. Allow to cool and process in a blender or food processor.
Reheat when ready to serve.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated cheese.

8 Responses to “Tomato Bisque”

Part Time House Wife — April 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

Yum…. I might have to try this once my garden gets going too!

Lizzy — April 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Oh, this sounds so good!!! Beautifully done…and I bet it was extra delicious with your home grown tomatoes :)

Susan Lindquist — April 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Yum! I had the urge for tomatoes today too! It was a roasted tart for me, though! Your soup would be a perfect lunch to have … with a grilled cheese sandwich! Yum!

The Mom Chef — April 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I keep hearing people recommend San Marzano tomatoes but have yet to see a can of them around here. I wish I had been as smart as you and frozen some so I’d have them ready for soup like this. I don’t think I’ve even introduced Dudette to tomato soup (bisque) yet. She’d love it.

Anonymous — November 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm

how many calories are in it per serving?

Veronica Gantley — November 9, 2012 at 10:35 pm

To be honest I really dont know. Here is a website that you can calculate it. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

Margaret — February 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Hi, Vonnie, I’m getting ready to make this but I don’t see how much parsley to put in the bouquet garni. Help!1