Irish Soda Bread Darina Allen Gourmet Game Changer # 38

Its Friday y’all, and we continue on with our Game Changer series.
Today is Game Changer #38 Darina Allen.
I tried to make her Irish Soda Bread.
I think I may have made it wrong.
If you click here you can get a visual of what one should look like.
 I don’t think mine looks like that, do you?

You know, I should really be ashamed of myself, being of Irish decent, one would think I would know how to make such things.
I blame it on my American Southern roots.
 This reminded me of a biscuit. It was a bit sweeter and had raisins in it.
 I slathered each slice with butter and enjoyed each crumb.
 I am not sure if that is how the traditional Irish eat it but it was very very tasty.
 Looking back now, I think I should have kneaded it a bit more.
Maybe added a bit more buttermilk?
I digress, I often do….
So, here is the low down on Darina Allen.
Darina Allen is an Irish Chef, food writer, and founder of Ballymaloe Cookery School in Cork Ireland.
Darina was born in Cullohill Ireland and is leading the slow food movement. She practices traditional Irish cooking and is putting Irish cuisine on the culinary map.
She comes from four generations of cooks, her focus is mostly Irish Cuisine. Her most recent book Darina Allen’s Ballymaloe Cooking School Cookbook  reflects that.
Darina works and lives with her husband Tim at the Ballymaloe Cooking school which includes over 300 acres of farm which they cultivate themselves.

Irish Soda Bread/Spotted Dog
450g flour
(4 cups)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon sugar

400ml buttermilk
(2/3 cup)

1 egg

4 oz raisins

(1/2 cup)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Stir all your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add your milk and eggs. Mix until flour is combined and the dough is sticky. Add the raisins.
Turn out on  a well floured surface and kneed until soft.
Pat it into a round and put it in your floured baking tray.
 (I used my trusty cast iron skillet.)
 Slash a cross in the top to bless your loaf.
Some say to slash to top to let the fairies our or the devil.
Fairies are good, we will go with that.
Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 375 and bake another 30 minutes.
It should be done when you tap the top of the loaf and it sounds hollow.
This bread should be eaten the same day it is made.

The following bloggers are also featuring recipes from Darina Allen.  Please pay them a visit and see what they have to bring to the table.
Val - More Than Burnt Toast, Taryn - Have Kitchen Will Feed, Susan - The Spice Garden, Heather - girlichef, Miranda - Mangoes and Chutney, Jeanette - Healthy Living
Mary - One Perfect Bite, Kathleen - Bake Away with Me, Sue - The View from Great Island Barbara - Movable Feasts , Linda A - There and Back Again, Nancy - Picadillo
Mireya - My Healthy Eating Habits, Annie - Most Lovely Things, Claudia - Journey of an Italian Cook, Alyce - More Time at the Table, Amrita - Beetles Kitchen Escapades

Please join us next week when we feature Ina Garten. Thats right, The Barefoot Contessa.

21 Responses to “Irish Soda Bread Darina Allen Gourmet Game Changer # 38”

Annie Oakley's Kitchen — March 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Idk. I’ve never had Irish soda bread but I do think that yours looks good even if it doesn’t look exactly like hers. Every time I see a recipe for this I tell myself that I have to make it, then promptly forget. Maybe this weekend…

Susan Lindquist — March 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I will be making enough Irish Soda Bread to feed at least one hundred next week for our little church’s Corned Beef and Cabbage St Paddy’s Day Dinner … yup, I’m making spotted dog too. But mention in your article link of adding caraway may be a fun savory alternative for the folks that don’t care for raisins! Good post, Veronica! I buzzed you on Foodbuzzzzzzzz ….

Sue/the view from great island — March 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I think your bread turned out beautifully! I love it in the iron skillet, that’s a great touch. I enjoyed my brown soda bread, but it turned out a bit ‘primative’ looking, too. I think that’s the nature of soda bread.

Cheap Ethnic Eatz — March 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Ah who cares it does not look like the picture. I think yours has a lovely rustic look to it and it is so pretty in the cast iron pan. It looks really good.

Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits — March 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm

L love rustic bread and yours looks so inviting baked in the iron skillet.

Jeanette — March 9, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Love how simple and rustic this bread is!

Barbara — March 9, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Frankly, I love the way yours turned out!! Very unusual and fun.

Kathy — March 9, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I think your bread looks lovely. Some of the soda breads I’ve eaten do have a texture similar to a biscuit. Eating it with lots of butter sounds perfect! Have a nice weekend!

BeetleBuggy — March 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Hahah who cares if the soda bread doesn’t come out the way it’s supposed to? Yours looks very pretty as it is and I’m sure it tasted as amazing. I know the puzzling feeling of how dishes that are supposed to be in your blood don’t turn out the way they’re supposed to. I just brush it off as my own little special twist and enjoy it nonetheless :D Your pictures, btw, are gorgeous!

Heather @girlichef.com — March 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Irish Soda bread isn’t too far off from a biscuit, really. I think yours looks wonderfully rustic and I would gladly cut myself off a slice. Beautiful!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — March 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm

This time of year always makes me wish I was Irish! I dream of visiting Ireland and eating my way from one end of the country to another!

Eliotseats — March 9, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Once again, I learned a lot from your game changer post. I really think yours looks good. I love your pics of it! :)

mike@the culinary lens — March 10, 2012 at 1:56 am

It just strike me your mix was a little wetter than it needed to be. There is a fine line between too wet and too dry.. I think it looks pretty good and I am sure it tasted wonderful.
    I am on a huge Irish cooking kick at the moment..Now this would be a great side for my soup

Mary — March 10, 2012 at 6:11 am

I think your bread looks wonderful. Sometimes we get too involved in appearance and forget the real test is taste. I’m so glad you joined us. You add much to our group. I hope you have a great weekend.Blessings…Mary

bellini — March 10, 2012 at 8:39 am

When I think about it this recipe epitomizes what Ms. Alllen and her cooking school are all about, simple, tasty Irish fare!

Duygu Öz Ada — March 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

looks very nice and tasty

Taryn (Have Kitchen, Will Feed) — March 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Right or wrong, it looks beautiful.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 11, 2012 at 5:59 am

I think this looks delicious! I’m not Irish, but my husband is and I so love to visit!

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen — March 11, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hi Veronica, this looks like good bread. I’m a big fan of Darina Allen and all she has done for Irish food. One of the first ever cookbooks I bought was by Myrtle Allen of Ballymaloe, Darina’s mother in law, also a bit of a mover and shaker in the Irish food scene.

Deelicious Sweets — March 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

As long as it tasted good what’s it matter what it looks like?! I would be unable to have any willpower around this bread as it sounds and looks so yummy!

Spicie Foodie — April 1, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hi Veronica,

The bread looks great! Thanks for being a part of the YBR :)