Fish Fry

Here is yet another traditional Lent recipe.
This recipe I tried to keep close to my southern roots.
Here in the south we have fish fries almost every week.
The batter for this fish stays really crispy.
I used a drum fish for this, but you could use any firm fish you can find.
Catfish is excellent with this.

Hush puppies and french fries usually accompany this.
Its kinda like peanut butter and jelly.
You don’t serve one without the other.
At the bottom of this post, I added my own version of Tarter Sauce.
Last year when we were vacationing in North Carolina, we went to a local restaurant.
I commented on how great the Tarter Sauce was and the server gave me the recipe right there and then.
So now, when ever I eat fish or clams and such I use this Tarter Sauce.

Fried Fish

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1/2 cup milk
8 fish fillets such as catfish, tillapia or flounder
Combine cornmeal, flour salt and pepper in a bowl. Dip fish fillet in milk and then coat with cornmeal mixture. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Serve with tarter sauce

Tarter Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup pickle relish
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon grated onion
1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
Blend all ingredients together and chill at least 3 hours.

10 Responses to “Fish Fry”

The Mom Chef — March 12, 2012 at 11:42 am

I’ve never even heard of drum fish, how weird is that. I do love a good fish fry though and this looks fantastic. I may not have southern roots, but I do live here now. This is definitely the real deal. I hope you have a great week.

Kay @ The Church Cook — March 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

There is nothing better than a good fish fry! This looks scrumptious, Veronica!

Whisked Away — March 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Yum! I love fish frys during Lent! Hey would you mind if I posted a link on your facebook page for my Lent/Lentil tacos recipe? Thanks for all the recipes! Dagny whiskedaway2@gmail.com

Lacy @ NYCityEats — March 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Mmmm this sounds incredible with catfish – I’ve never heard of drum fish before in all honesty but I bet that’s amazing too! Wonderful recipe!

Eliotseats — March 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm

There’s nothing better than homemade fried catfish nuggets!

Just for Cooking — March 14, 2012 at 1:07 am

Nothing better than a good fish fry during Lent. Wonderful recipe. Veronica, I don’t know if you use Mrs. Paul’s parchment bake for busy nights, I just did a tastemaker post and there are coupons available on my blog (through a link).

Christine's Pantry — April 2, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I love a good fish fry.

Daksha — April 3, 2012 at 4:48 am

Looks mouthwatering!

Bloggy Writer — April 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

A yummy appetizer definitely made for people like me. I love the recipe and love to recommend it too.