Clam Chowder

As we began our third week of  Lent, I realized our journey is well under way.
Today I bring you Clam Chowder.
 If you live in an area where you can get fresh clams, then by all means use them for this recipe.
I  live in Virginia Beach where seafood is plentiful. (I know I am truly blessed.).
For those of you who are not so blessed,  I made this recipe with canned clams.

Clam Chowder

2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 large sweet onion chopped
2 tablespoons flour
4 cans minced clams juice reserved
2 bottles 8 ounces clam juice
1 cup water
5 medium potatoes peeled
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 cup half and half
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent. Add the flour and stir until it starts to brown. Whisk in the clam juice and water. Add the potatoes, bay, thyme and simmer until potatoes are tender about 20 minutes. Add the clams, cream, salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf and garnish with oyster crackers or croutons.

8 Responses to “Clam Chowder”

The Culinary Lens — March 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

A really enjoy clam chowder. Makes for a nice hearty meal..And canned clams work quite well with chowder

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 5, 2012 at 3:30 am

I adore clam chowder! Yours looks perfect!

Veronica's Kitchen — March 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

I’ve never tried clam chowder and I’d just love to make this soup! It looks so creamy and tasty and I wish I can lift that spoon in the picture! :)

Linda A. Thompson Ditch — March 6, 2012 at 2:14 am

That looks wonderful. Made me miss New England and all of the great fresh seafood. My city here in Kansas just got its first fresh seafood shop. Think I’ll have to stop in for some clams!

Lacy @ NYCityEats — March 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Mmm this looks creamy & delicious! My boyfriend would love it if I made this for him! Grat recipe!

Rachelle — March 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

yum. My boys love clam chowder. Unfortunately I have to use the canned.

Rachelle — March 6, 2012 at 9:17 pm

yum. My boys love clam chowder. Unfortunately I have to use the canned.

Lilly — March 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I use to love clam chowder…used to till I kinda overeat on it. So for now no clam chowder for me. But when I’m ready, I’ll give your recipe a try. It looks really good!