Velvet Corn Soup – Gourmet Game Changer #30 Barbara Tropp

Barbara Tropp is #30 of our Gourmet Women Game Changers.
She is the daughter of a New Jersey podiatrist and attended Princeton University.
She spent two years in Taiwan and upon returning, promptly dropped out of Princeton.
She soon began writing the internationally acclaimed cookbook The Art of Chinese Cooking.
She soon opened a restaurant called China Moon Cafe.
Her China Moon cookbook soon followed.
Barbara Tropp lost her battle with ovarian cancer at 53.
She will be missed.
Velvet Corn Soup
adapted from The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking
6 tablespoons ham or 1/2 lb crab
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons peanut oil
3 tablespoon green onions chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger root minced
2 tablespoons dry sherry
4 cups chicken stock
17 oz creamed corn
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons chicken stock cold
Set a heavy non-aluminum stockpot over high heat until hot enough to evaporate a bead of water. Add the oil to the pot, swirl to coat the bottom, then reduce the heat to medium. Add the scallions and ginger adjusting the heat so they sizzle without scorching. Add the ham or crab. Stir to combine. Add the wine and wait for it to hiss, then toss the meat briskly several times. Add the stock and blend. Add corn and bring the mixture to almost a boil. Stir frequently not allowing the corn to scorch.
Reduce the heat to low. Adjust seasonings if needed. Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold chicken stock. Pour into the soup and stir gently for about one minute. Turn off the heat. Beat the egg whites lightly. Add them to the soup in a thin steady stream. Sir gently once midway, then again after all the egg whites have been added to bring the lacy threads to the surface.

The following bloggers are also featuring the recipes of Barbara Tropp today. I hope you’ll visit all of them.

Val – More Than Burnt Toast, Joanne – Eats Well With Others, Taryn – Have Kitchen Will Feed Susan - The Spice Garden, Claudia - A Seasonal Cook in Turkey, Heather - girlichef
Miranda – Mangoes and Chutney, Jeanette – Healthy Living, April – Abby Sweets
Katie - Making Michael Pollan Proud, Mary – One Perfect Bite, Kathleen - Bake Away with Me
Viola - The Life is Good Kitchen, Sue – The View from Great Island, Barbara – Movable Feasts Kathleen – Gonna Want Seconds, Amy – Beloved Green, Linda - Ciao Chow Linda
Linda A - There and Back Again, Martha – Lines from Linderhof, Nancy – Picadillo
Mireya – My Healthy Eating Habits, Annie – Most Lovely Things,
Claudia – Journey of an Italian Cook
Stay tuned next week when we feature Donna Hay

17 Responses to “Velvet Corn Soup – Gourmet Game Changer #30 Barbara Tropp”

bellini — January 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

It is a shame we will never have the opportunity to eat at China Moon Cafe but we can learn so much from Barbara’s cookbooks

Heather @ girlichef.com — January 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’d love a bowl of this soup…sounds delicious and comforting. Plus, I’m a corn-lover so it’s hard to resist!

Sudha — January 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Such a mildly flavored and lovely soup!Love the yellowish hue and the sweet corns floating on top – this would be perfect on a cold,snowy day and great to have while watching snowflakes outside my window:)

The Mom Chef — January 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

That bowl of soup is deceptive because there is so much flavor built into it without seeming so. Ham? Ginger? Sherry? I’m in love. It looks amazing.

Veronica's Kitchen — January 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm

This is my favourite soup! My mum always cooked this for me during sickness when I was kids. I could eat anything except this soup!

Barbara — January 13, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Very unusual soup, Veronica. Sherry, ginger (did she make anything without ginger, I wonder?), ham and creamed corn are an interesting combo and I bet it was fun to make. Glad you made the ginger ice cream…were you the blogger who mentioned wanting to make it but I asked first? You should have gone ahead with it. It wouldn’t be the first time two of us made the same recipe! Always fun to see the changes and presentations.

Mary — January 14, 2012 at 1:09 am

This looks so delightful and sounds delicious. It is a bit different that most of the recipes I’ve seen and I’m now curious to taste it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary.

Mireya @myhealthyeatibghabits — January 14, 2012 at 2:00 am

Hi Veronica,
    I’ve always been a little disappointed when I’ve ordered corn soup in a Chinese restaurant, but this recipe looks great. Thanks for going with it instead of the ice-cream.
    Mireya

Susan Lindquist — January 14, 2012 at 4:25 am

This soup was my back-up, but I had mushrooms and canned tomatoes to use so went with the Wine-Explosion Vegetable Chowder… did you like the Velvet Corn Soup? Her soups seem to have so many layers of flavours … they are not for the faint of heart!

Claudia — January 14, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I have fallen in love with vegetable-based velvety soups and have been doing them for two months now. This looks right up my alley and perfect for the chilly days.

Eliotseats — January 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I am really intrigued by the ginger in this soup. I bet it is wonderful with the sweet corn flavor. (Growing up, I LOVED cream corn in the can and would fix it for every meal I was in charge of!) Great post.

Jeanette — January 14, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I used to make this velvet corn soup years ago and had forgotten all about it. Yours looks lovely – I’ll have to give this a try.

Kathy — January 15, 2012 at 2:47 am

Your soup looks so delicious…I would love to be eating a bowl right now. I bet the addition of ginger was wonderful. Nice post!

Jamie — January 15, 2012 at 3:06 am

mmm this looks so yummy! I love corn! I’m a new follower and fellow Catholic Mother Online.

Please feel free to stop by and follow back. :o) If I find a pinterest button here I’m going to follow you there too… I need recipe ideas!

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

Gloria — January 15, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hi verónica really I love this delicious soup!!

Lizzy — January 16, 2012 at 12:46 am

What a beautiful corn soup!!! I’m sorry the world lost this talented woman at such a young age~

Joanne — January 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I’ve never seen ginger in corn soup but it sounds so tasty!