Chocolate Oatmeal cookies Game Changers #22 Amanda Hesser

Amanda Hesser is # 22 in the list of Gourmet Magazines 50 Women Game Changers.
It is the brain child of Mary at One Perfect Bite.
We are chronologically going down this list and featuring all these women.

Amanda is a food writer and editor at the New York Times. She has several cookbooks under her belt including “The Essential New York Times Cookbook” and “Cooking for Mr. Latte.” She lives in Brooklyn with her twins and husband Tad. She is also the co-editor of the wildly popular blog Food52
I made her Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. They were fantastic. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oats
1 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
(I used Ghiradelli chocolate)
1 cup chopped walnuts
(I omitted)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In my kitchen aid I creamed the shortening and the two sugars. I then added the eggs and vanilla. Next I put the oats in to mix and then added the dark chocolate.

I omitted the walnuts. I have way to many family members and friends who have nut allergies. I use a ice cream scoop to drop dough on a baking sheet. I spaced them 1  1/2 inches apart. I baked for about 12 minutes.
Try not to burn your fingers trying to eat these puppies while they are still hot.
Here are more bloggers that feature the recipes of Amanda Hesser today.
I hope you get a chance to visit them.
Val – More Than Burnt Toast, Joanne – Eats Well With Others
Taryn – Have Kitchen Will Feed, Susan - The Spice Garden
Claudia - A Seasonal Cook in Turkey, Heather - girlichef
Miranda – Mangoes and Chutney, Jeanette – Healthy Living
April – Abby Sweets, Katie - Making Michael Pollan Proud
Mary – One Perfect Bite, Kathleen -Bake Away with Me
Viola - The Life is Good Kitchen, Sue – The View from Great Island
Barbara – Movable Feasts, Kathleen – Gonna Want Seconds
Amy – Beloved Green,Jeanette – Healthy Living
Linda - Ciao Chow Linda, Linda A - There and Back Again
Martha – Lines from Linderhof, Nancy – Picadillo

Stay tuned next Friday when we feature Nancy Silverton.

18 Responses to “Chocolate Oatmeal cookies Game Changers #22 Amanda Hesser”

Sue/the view from great island — November 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies are my favorite of all time. The next time I have kids in the house I’m going to make these. If I make them now I’ll just eat every one by myself…not a good thing.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — November 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I could sit reading Food52 for hours! I’m always amazed at what people come up with, and I really like the style photography on the site. Can’t wait to see what you do for Nancy Silverton!

Eliotseats — November 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Love me some choco chip cookies (any and all)!!!! I will have to check out these 50 fantastic women!

Jeanette — November 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm

These look really good – never tried cocoa in a chocolate oatmeal cookie, but I think it would make a nice holiday cookie.

Mary — November 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

These really look especially good. My grandsons will worship the ground you walk on :-) This was a wonderful choice for this weeks tribute to the fab fifty. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings…Mary

Heather Schmitt-González — November 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Your cookies look absolutely perfect, Veronica! I just love those big shards of chocolate. Delicious choice this week =)

Barbara — November 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Those look nice and crunchy, Veronica. Fun to have chocolate in an oatmeal cookie too. Now, if I just had a plateful of those right now with a glass of cold milk!

The Café Sucré Farine — November 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm

These look like a bakery shop cookie! I’d love to have one right now with a tall glass of milk, YUM!

My Picadillo — November 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm

They look delicious and I agree; with a tall glass of milk!!

Jess @JessCantCook — November 5, 2011 at 12:51 am

These look delicious! My husband and I just got married and moved across the country so I’ve been way too busy to bake, but now that we’re settled I think these will be first on my list!

Ann — November 5, 2011 at 5:11 am

These cookies are stunning! I’ve heard of both One Perfect Bit and everyone’s heard of Food52! Thanks for sharing!

MyFudo™ — November 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I want my daughter to have her oatmeal every breakfast. I know this is good source of fiber. But now that she is a toddler and is gradually becoming a picky eater (oh how she adores her oatmeal before)…This is one way that she can get her oatmeal serving without frowning at her bowl. Thanks for this post!

motherrimmy — November 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I adore oatmeal cookies. I can skip the chocolate and the peanut butter cookies, but oatmeal I can’t resist.

Susan Lindquist — November 6, 2011 at 2:45 am

These cookies look so wonderful … and … I love the use of chocolate chunks over a more traditional ‘chip’ … makes for a really cool homemade vibe … and oh boy, nothing like good chocolate!

Baker Street — November 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I love oatmeal cookies! And they pair so well with chocolate! I would love this with my coffee right now!

Marisa — November 10, 2011 at 2:02 am

I like Amanda Hesser, I have one of her books. These look great!

Megan — November 14, 2011 at 3:52 am

Those look like a perfect cookie. Delicious.

Balvinder Ubi — January 12, 2012 at 1:34 am