Banana Bread and Nancy Silverton game changer #23

Nancy Silverton is an American Chef and baker, she is #23 in the Gourmet Magazines 50 women game changers
She is a cookbook author and is leading the way in revitalizing artisan breads here in the U.S.
After graduating at Sonoma State University, she trained at Le Cordon Bleu and Ecole Le Notre in Plaiser France.
She is co-founder of two restaurants in California with her ex-husband Mark Peel.
She also owns two other restaurants. One is a pizzeria that has won accolades for its artisan style crusts.
She has three children, Oliver, Benjamin and Vanessa.
I will be making her Banana Bread. With this recipe I didn’t add the nuts.
I also did not put the extra banana on the top. The first batch I put the banana on top and it sank into the bread.
So I decided not to do that again.
Banana Bread
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoons cloves
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons light Brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Lightly coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. reheat the oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk the banana puree, eggs and vanilla to combine.
In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, baking soda, baking powder, salt cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, poppy seeds, white and brown  sugar. Add the flour mixture in three batches. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf and and bake for 50-50 minutes or until nicely browned and firm to the touch.
Here are some other bloggers that also feature Nancy Silverton.
Stay tuned next week while we feature Paula Deen.
Linda from There and Back Again Val from More Than Burnt Toast
Joanne from Eats Well with Others Taryn from Have Kitchen Will Feed
Susan from The Spice Garden Heather from girlichef
Sue from The View from The Great Island Barbara from Movable Feasts
Nancy from Picadillo Kathleen from Bake Away With Me
Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits Jeanette – Healthy Living

21 Responses to “Banana Bread and Nancy Silverton game changer #23”

Heather @ girlichef.com — November 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I like the sound of this banana bread…the poppy seeds are a fun addition…and I’m intrigued by putting the banana on top of the bread, as well. Delicious pick :D

bellini — November 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Banana bread is one of those classics and yet it is hard to find the perfect recipe. I do believe you have hut the nail on the head.

Sue/the view from great island — November 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The texture of your bread looks nice and moist. I’d like this right now with a big blob of cream cheese!

Kathy — November 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Banana bread was such a staple in my house while my kids were growing up! It’s still a favorite! Love the golden, moist look of your bread! Happy Friday!

Jeanette — November 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm

How interesting – I’ve never tried poppy seeds in banana bread, but it must add some nice crunch.

Gloria — November 11, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I think look and sound delicious Veronica! gloria

Eliotseats — November 12, 2011 at 12:47 am

I have GOT to check out these 50 fab foodies. By the way, did you see SRC today? http://secretrecipeclub.com/pesto-swirl-bread-eliots-eats/
    This is thanks to you!!!!

Ann — November 12, 2011 at 4:16 am

Another winner! This is my second 50 women post I’ve read and each one is better than the last! Thanks!

Barbara — November 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

That looks like a perfect banana bread! Interesting she put poppy seeds in it. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen — November 12, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Lovely banana bread recipe, Veronica. Thanks for sharing. Will have to check out Nancy’s book. I read her Sandwich Recipes book. Some lovely twists.

claudia @Whats Cookin — November 13, 2011 at 1:22 am

I dont think I have ever seen a more lucious color baked in a banana bread its just lovely!

Mary — November 13, 2011 at 6:42 am

What a lovely bread. It was a perfect choice for the week. I find her additionof poppy seeds most interesting and will havetogive the bread a try. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings…Mary

Lilly — November 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Wow your banana bread looks soooo moist! More cake like than bread. I LOVE it!

jensfreshandfabulous.com — November 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Looks tremendous Veronica! Definitely a must for fall baking.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.w — November 14, 2011 at 12:59 am

Banana bread is my favorite type of quick bread! This looks so good and I love the poppy seeds!

Miranda — November 14, 2011 at 2:41 am

This bread looks deliciously moist and I love the addition of poppy seeds – never seen that in banana bread.

Baker Street — November 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

Banana bread is like comfort food. Poppy seeds is such a lovely addition. Your bread looks moist and delicious!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — November 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I like the idea of adding poppy seeds! Nancy Silverton is an amazing woman! I’m not sure whether I think she ever sleeps though…

Daksha — November 15, 2011 at 2:37 am

Mmmmmm… Looks gorgeous! I would like to strike this off my list too. Should try and bake this soon. Thanks for sharing this if u like plz visit my apace and join me on fb http://www.facebook.com/people/Vegetarian-Cooking-Diarys/100002691309744

Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits — November 15, 2011 at 3:10 am

Banana bread is always a good choice. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like it. I thing the poppy seeds are a nice touch.

Jennifer — November 15, 2011 at 4:32 am

Poppy seeds in banana bread – what a great idea! The bread sounds awesome!