Sweet Pickles

This recipe came out of necessity. I love pickles. Mostly sweet pickles. I had a boat load of cucumber. I didn’t have all the ingredients to make my favorite bread and butter pickles.
I decided to ad lib.
Normally ad libbing ends up being a disaster. In this case it turned out perfect. It is funny how life is like that. I don’t think I could duplicate it if I tried.
I must admit there is something deeply satisfying when I hear that familiar ping of the jars when they seal.
Sweet Dill Pickles
2 cups white sugar
2 quarts water
1 quart white vinegar
1/2 cup canning salt
7-8 sprigs of dill
Mix the sugar, water vinegar and salt. Bring to a rolling boil. Using a mandolin or knife cut cucumbers into thick slices. Have jars sterilized.
Pack cucumbers into jars.
Pour hot solution over pickles. Seal the jars and put in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Remove jars and┬álet them┬ásit on the counter, until you hear that familiar ping. If any don’t seal, put them in the refrigerator and eat those first.

11 Responses to “Sweet Pickles”

Gloria — September 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm

This look absolutely nice, my Mom love pickles, gloria

The Mom Chef — September 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I love that ping sound too after I’m done with a batch of canning. It is such a satisfying sound. Almost as good as seeing all the jars lined up on the counter!

These do look fantastic. I like mine on the sour dill side, but others in my family would devour sweet ones. Many thanks for the recipe.

The Culinary Lens — September 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm

The ping is great but I do love the simple practicality of if they don’t seal just eat them first LOL problem solved

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen — September 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Yum, Veronica! These pickles are gorgeous. Good tip on the ‘ping’ – will be listening for that!

egb — September 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Yum! I just recently made my first round of pickles and yours look lovely. I might have to try out your brine to see how the addition of sugar changes it. Thanks!

Lizzy — September 5, 2011 at 12:05 am

I have never made pickles, but yours look fabulous!! My mom would make bread and butter pickles…they were delish! I need to jump on the pickle bandwagon with you~

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 5, 2011 at 2:45 am

I also love sweet pickles so these just sound awesome! I would love to eat some of these on a good burger right about now!

Ann — September 5, 2011 at 11:14 pm

They sound delicious and I love bread and butter pickles. Your pictures are amazing!

Libby — September 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Yummm! Those would be great on some burgers!!

Jenelle — September 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

I have been wanting to make pickles and this is the perfect recipe! Thanks for the motivation!

ping — September 10, 2011 at 2:19 am

I’ve been making pickles lately since my husband mentioned he misses them from his US days. Trouble is he likes those sour ones but I don’t. Thanks to you and this recipe, I can finally unpucker my face and enjoy my very own batch. Yay!