Pork Barbecue

Nothing screams warm weather like barbecue. what better way to make it than with pork.
I am doing an informal survey. Do you eat your barbecue with or without coleslaw on top?
If you put coleslaw on it then you have to be southern, or at least understand our way.
I have relatives in the north that look at me funny when I eat my barbecue with slaw on it. They also joke on how we talk Ya ll!
I guess it is all in how you are raised. If they were raised without it, I guess it is funny to see someone eat it that way.
For now I will show you how to make the barbecue. In another post I will get to the coleslaw.

Pulled Pork Sandwich
1 boneless pork shoulder (about 4 to 41/2 pounds)
4 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/4 cup smoked paprika
2 to 3 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
 Place the salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika, oregano, and vinegar in a medium bowl. Add extra-virgin olive oil and mix until you have a nice paste. Rub the paste all over the pork. Cover the pork with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a dutch oven with onions.
Roast the pork for 3 1/2 hours, uncovered, until the outside is crispy-brown (it should look like mahogany). Let the meat rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before you use two forks and pull it apart.
To serve, cut the bread in half and pile up some pulled pork. With or without coleslaw.

15 Responses to “Pork Barbecue”

The Country Cook — July 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm

This sounds like a really great pork recipe. You know I like my pork with cole slaw on top. Love that you kept it kinda Carolina Style! I used to love to go to Formy’s. Is that place still there? I think the original owner sold it. I used to love their BBQ…

Susan — July 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm

My goodness, this looks good! As for your survey, I love coleslaw topping my pulled pork sandwich! A frined just made pulled pork for a potluck, but didn’t have the slaw … boo hoo! However, she had excellent three beans salad for a side dish and that made things ‘all better’.

It’s been a while since I’ve visited you, Veronica! hope your summer is going well! the blog looks wonderful and your photos have been stellar!

Veronica Gantley — July 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Brandi, no Formys unfortunately closed. We do still have Doumars.
    Susan, yes. my summer is going very well and thank you for the compliment on my photos.

Patti — July 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Hi V, I tried making this and the ingredients called for made it too vinegary. I like the ingredients in this recipe!

Veronica Gantley — July 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Cut back on the vinegar if you like. Make the recipe your own, or create a new one.

Lark (SparkyLarky) — July 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm

LOOKS WONDERFUL!!!

Lark (SparkyLarky) — July 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm

LOOKS WONDERFUL!!!

Gloria — July 6, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Look delicious this is my type of sandwich he,he! I love it!!!

I remember María Goretti, what amazing woman was, I learned about her when I was a child! huggs

Mariko — July 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Love the slaw on it too! Yumm.

Kelly — July 6, 2011 at 7:33 pm

This looks so delicious, perfect summer recipe! 🙂

Tina @flourtrader — July 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Great way to cook up some pork. That picture of it in the cast iron pan is making my mouth water. Love pork sandwiches with slaw-this one looks like a winner.

Kimberly — July 8, 2011 at 12:10 am

Oh yum…. I love barbecue, being from the south this is like total comfort food for me! Looks fantastic!

Kate@Diethood — July 8, 2011 at 2:49 am

Veronica, that first photo made me soooo hungry! That is delicious!!

Apron Appeal — July 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm

That sandwich looks amazing and i can’t believe I haven’t thought about putting slaw on a sandwich…well I can because slaw is not my favorite but you make it look good.

Kimby — July 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I like slaw on everything from pulled pork to hot dogs. YUM. Will be checking out your Creole Coleslaw recipe right after this! Hi from “the picnic!” 🙂