First Communion Cupcakes

I found these wonderful cupcake picks at my local cake decorating store, I thought boy these would be great for First Communion.
Honestly, I did intend on making them for that purpose when I purchased them months ago.
Our schools First Communions came and went and these picks sat in my pantry.
Redemption time.
Fliers were sent home for our annual auction. It is the major money event for our school. I planned on making cupcakes and remembered. What is that saying, when one door closes another one opens? Most definitely when cupcakes are concerned.
 I try every year to make some homemade goodies for our sweet shop. This year is no exception. For  my friend Peggy, I try each year to make the Strawberry Shortcake Trifle. She seems to like that one. I generally add one or two more things, depending on how much time I have.
Last year, I purchased a new slow cooker and made Chocolate Dump Cake, we auctioned off the cake in the crock pot. This year, I made these cupcakes. I will display them on my cupcake tower that I purchased at Walmart. I will keep you posted and let you know how much they went for.

Chocolate Cupcakes with White Icing
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup sugar

3 large eggs, at room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips (1/2 cup or 1 cup is fine as well)

Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; set aside
 Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla
Add cocoa mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with cocoa mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips.
Put 12 paper baking cups in a muffin pan. Spoon batter evenly into cups, filling all the way to the top.
Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack, and cool 30 minutes or until completely cool. Spread cupcakes evenly with White Frosting.
White Frosting

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 Tbsp. milk
Preparation
Beat butter with an electric mixer with a paddle attachment at medium-high speed until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla and 2 Tbsp. milk, adding additional milk, if necessary, for desired consistency.

17 Responses to “First Communion Cupcakes”

The Country Cook — May 14, 2011 at 11:52 am

Veronica!!! These are so gorgeous! You did such a great job with the frosting too. I am so horrible at piping frosting. Love these!

Patti — May 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Ohhh you’ll be on Foodbuzz for these! Great job Veronica – Just beautiful presentation!

Kay Heritage — May 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm

These are beautiful, Veronica! :)

Cheap Ethnic Eatz — May 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Love the adorable cupcakes! And the topping deco so appropriate. I have made a couple of dump cakes….so easy and quick lol.

Peggy — May 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm

What beautiful cupcakes! I love that you were able to finally use those picks!

Mother Rimmy — May 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

What a beautiful presentation! I am always so impressed when I visit your blog. Truly lovely.

Kristi

Victoria — May 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Your cupcakes looks beautiful! Good luck at the auction :) Few things are more classic and comforting than chocolate cupcakes with vanilla icing.

Veronica Gantley — May 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone for you wonderful comments.

Lizzy — May 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Gorgeous cupcakes, Veronica! Love the toppers you found…sadly, it’s been over 10 years since my youngest made his first communion, but maybe I’ll have grandchildren one day?

PS…I’m sure you got a good bid on these cupcakes :)

Rosita Vargas — June 15, 2011 at 1:22 am

Jummny cake..looks so perfectly made,nice job very good. I’m Catholic and I love your blog and cupcakes are special communion, I am a teacher and in the evenings I catechism in the church, my blog is authentic and traditional food of chile, are my mother’s old recipes, I like your tCERs I have drawn you with love, blessings and hugs ..

The Procrastobaker — July 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Lovely little cupcakes :) I am yet to try my hand at piping..im a wuss! But yours are so very pretty i am inspired to give it a go for sure :)

Kimberly — December 22, 2011 at 12:02 am

Those pics are totally PRO!!!
    Still miss our Wednesday coffees!
    (Feel free to head north with some of those cupcakes in hand! I’ll supply the coffee!)
    :-)

Anonymous — January 29, 2012 at 12:15 am

Lovely cupcakes, I would like to know where I can buy the molds for the crosses. I am located in Miami FL

Veronica Gantley — February 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm

http://www.wineandcake.com/search.htm is where I got the picks for the cupcakes.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks