Southern Comfort Food: Biscuits and Gravy

This gravy is practically a must in most southern kitchens. It is called by many names, sausage gravy, sawmill gravy, white gravy. It is similar to the one served at the Cracker Barrel restaurant and made in so many southern kitchens.
At first, I thought, this is too simple a recipe to post.  Everyone knows how to make gravy, right?  Wrong! Apparently not everyone got the memo when it came to gravy, good southern gravy that is. This is how Hardee’s makes their biscuits and gravy.
“How do I know this, you ask?”
Well, I used to work at Hardee’s and this is how they taught me to make it.
This will go well with homemade biscuits, if you have the time. There is no shame in using the frozen or canned biscuits, if you are so inclined.
Oh, I almost forgot, for a healthier option that you can eat every day, check out Fight The Fat Foodie.
Biscuits and Gravy
1 lb ground breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
Brown sausage in skillet.
After sausage is cooked and no longer pink,  add flour and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Just to get rid of that flour taste.
Add milk and turn heat to medium. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
Reduce to a simmer and simmer about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over hot biscuits.

8 Responses to “Southern Comfort Food: Biscuits and Gravy”

Brandie — April 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Oooooo – you are spilling the beans on Hardee’s gravy…LOL. I love it. It is just one of my most favorite things to eat. I could have this for breakfast every single morning of my life!! I’m gonna make this for sure!

Chris "Kickstart" Beason — April 5, 2011 at 1:26 am

Measurements! :) I’ve always just eyeballed it. Now if someone asks I can at least tell them about how much it is.

Kimberly — April 5, 2011 at 2:24 am

Looks YUMMY Guess what we are having tomorrow night for dinner! LOL!

Veronica Gantley — April 5, 2011 at 9:28 am

Chris, I know what you mean about eyeballing it. I used measurements for the newer cooks. Kim, let me know how Tim and the kids liked dinner.

Patti — April 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Ohhh I always wanted to try this Veronica! Would you add this to my Vintage Recipe Group?

Veronica Gantley — April 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Patti, yes, I need to update Cook Eat Share with other recipes also. I will try to do that tomorrow.

Patti — April 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Hi Veronica! I’ve chosen you for the Stylish Blogger Award! Get to my page and grab it – you deserve it! Congrats and have a great day!

Cathy — February 15, 2012 at 11:46 pm

If you want to know a SECRET INGREDIENT that I’ve put in for years …. and makes it have a wonderful different taste —- use white pepper! My boys didn’t like pepper when they were younger, so I used white pepper to sneak in pepper in my sausage milk gravy, and guess what? A great new taste for this dish! Try it, you’ll LOVE it!
    Cathy, Waxhaw, NC